And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’ – Matthew 25.40
Volunteers make the local church work. Without volunteers there’s lots missing at your church. This is never more true than in local churches in small towns all across America. A local church with a culture of volunteering and serving at the core has unlimited potential to grow and see God’s work accomplish in big ways.
With a volunteer driven church you’ll allow your church to take ownership in the mission and vision of the church and you’ll empower them to do great things. The thing is, if you the lead pastor or church staff you have to make the vision clear, communicate it well and you have to ask.
Tell your church why they should get plugged into a volunteer role. This can be crafted and said who it fits into the vision of your church, but I think it needs to include the following regardless:
- “Just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” – Matthew 20:28
- Jesus set the example of what a servant is all about. The Son of Man, God made man, came to earth to serve. If we are to model ourselves like Christ serving others is just in us.
- To reach more people with the Gospel, we need you.
- To steal from LifeChurch.tv’s Craig Groeschel…we are not here to recruit volunteers, but to release leaders.
- Our goal is not to burn you out, but to empower you to use the gifts and talents God gave you to serve the church and our community.
- It is NOT the responsibility of the church leadership and staff to do everything. From a practical standpoint it doesn’t make sense. From a biblical standpoint, it’s just wrong. We need you. We want you to find your fit.
I’m sure there’s more, but that’s what first came to mind and probably some of the most easily communicated parts of vision for volunteers at my church. What are some other things that should be in there?
If you are having a hard time recruiting and empowering volunteers, which one of these vision points do you want or need to adopt right away?
Tomorrow we will talk about how we can communicate the vision and opportunity to volunteer to our church.