Here’s a couple suggestions that help me when I meet with people and have tough conversations dealing with life and conflict issues:
- Pray – If you know you’re going into a tough conversation spend some time in prayer
- Listen – If the person has something to say just shut up and listen.
- Take notes – write down what the person is saying and your thoughts as well so you can communicate well.
- Stay calm – Don’t act out in anger. Stay calm.
- Say what needs to be said – Don’t drag it out. Say what you respectfully and gracefully need to say to someone and move forward.
Tough conversations are no fun. I’ve had plenty in the last 4 1/2 years of church planting and plan on having more as the months and years go by. It’s not fun, by is necessary in leading to have these conversations. You won’t get it perfect every time, but if you’re prepared and speaking in love things will always go better.